This is my second sample for the texture challenge at Country View Crafts and I have two more Christmas baubles for you today that fit with the two I showed at the beginning of the month (see that post here).
The texture was laid down as the previous two were with gesso and texture paste but I had fun playing with different media and colours on these two.
You may remember
I started by covering all four with gesso and to start the texturing whilst they were still wet I pushed some of them down on the craft mat so that the gesso texturised when I pulled the bauble away.
The second layer of texture is created with texture paste through a stencil and letting it dry.
This first bauble has Tim's snowflake stencil added to it with grey and prussian blue brushos and a little decoart silver acrylic paint to create the base layer. Over that I spritzed water and 'painted' in some of the blue around the snowflakes so that the colour collected in the gaps.
When dry I gessoed over the snowflakes and also dripped some walnut crystal ink in the gaps to achieve this mixed media background before lightly and very gently applying ultra matte varnish and letting it dry. To finish I laid the stencil back over, gessoed again and when dry painted glue over the snowflakes and sprinkled on crystal glamour dust.
For this next experiment I wanted to try sprays on the background and I wanted the poinsettia to look fairly realistic but still be vintagey.
So I began by squeezing some decoart cadmium red hue, transparent red iron oxide and prussian blue on my mat in tiny, tiny amounts. Placing the stencil back over the flowers and using a sponge I daubed on the cadmium randomly trying to keep to just the petals, I mixed in a tiny amount of the blue and sponged some shadows and the centres and them mixed a tiny bit with the red iron oxide and sponged a few places to create more texture and colour variation. I then sprayed fired brick distress spray stain, misted it with water and let it run off the sides. It created a few lighter areas so I sprayed antique linen over again spritzed a little water and heat dried. Mmmm I really quite like the effects and you can see the textured gesso.
I finished by painting the dots gold and the leaves green and edging the bauble with potting soil archival ink.
I hope you've liked the series of baubles and you can see from 1 to 4 how my choices of colour, media and layers improved - well I think they have....
Having finished the texture posts I think I maybe back before I publish this one .... I have an idea.
Yep I'm back. I decided to add some embellishing to brighten up the baubles.
Tim Holtz greenery and poinsettia, sparkly berries, moss, dried flowers and decoart snowtex.
Thanks for stopping by today. Do pop over to Country View Challenges to see lots of inspiration from the team and hopefully you will find inspiration for your next project.
hugs Brenda xxx