Our latest challenge at AVJ starts today and we have an open sewing theme for you. I am hosting and my brief for you is -
This is simple - a sewing inspired creation, any style as long as you tell us what the Tim influence is in your project, it could be that you have used a Tim technique, some of Tim's products, maybe you will case one of his tags but make it sewing based, you choose . Be adventurous and make whatever you like, it doesn't have to include real sewing but must be focused within that theme.
I have chosen to use fabric to make journal covers and have used Tim inspired layers using distress inks, stencil, and stamp – and also some images from Tim’s Eclectic elements fabric range, ideaology, paper from Tim’s wallflower stash and his wonderful layered butterfly die. I also got out the sewing machine, but I definitely need more practice using it lol.
I started with Tim’s monoprint technique using his layering stencils and distress sprays on plain cotton fabric but after several layers I decided I didn't like the result. So I got out another piece of fabric and started again.
I daubed over some thin layers of gesso with a palette knife and dried them. Next I dipped the fabric in puddles of watery distress ink and dried that layer. Then I added the harlequin pattern using Tim’s stencil with a mixture of evergreen bough and salty ocean distress paint ……
……and then grabbed the extra large flourish (from the fabulous flourishes set) and stamped with white gesso. Once dry I started to spray stains over but I was unhappy with the colour choices, so into the sink and under cool water I squeezed all the colour out. So I was ready to start again but with the same piece as it was back to neutral.
This time I decided I would go the vintage route and chose stormy sky, brushed corduroy, gathered twigs and walnut stain distress stains, squidging them onto my mat and spritzed them with water I used a babywipe to gently blend the colours over randomly. As I was drying it with the heat gun I was turning the fabric over to heat both sides and this is when I noticed that I actually preferred the reverse side. I decided though that I would add some sponged gesso to lighten and brighten the front again and then stamp with black gesso.
It was at this point something amazing happened, I splattered the background with drops of walnut stain distress stain, but they looked too dark, so I spritzed them with water and rubbed them in a bit and before my eyes I began to get distinct water marks, large versions of the spritz and flick technique, so cool.
I was much happier with this piece.
I took some fabric and spray starched it, making it stiffer than it was, then dipped it in some distress stains, drying it off. I ran it through the die-cutter with the layered butterfly die and through the matching embossing folder. It created the embossed texture and with some light swipes of rose madder archival, the fabulous patterns showed up. To finish it I edged it with walnut stain distress ink.
I took a piece of canvas roll cut two covers to the size I wanted, sprayed with tattered rose and antique linen distress stains and also used some blue skies glimmer mist. The age spots were a stroke of luck as I keep a box for spraying in and the canvas picked up some bits of other colours that has been sprayed in the box on previous occasions. I misted it all with water to blend the colours together and heat dried. I stamped using black archival and the distress damask stamps, a text stamp and blended broken china distress ink through the harlequin mask to provide continuity with the front covers.
Creating the collage on the front cover
I cut the fabric background in half and pinned each part to another piece of the canvas roll. I layered a collage design using images cut from the eclectic elements range of fabrics, a piece of wallflower paper and some cheesecloth. These were all sewn on using my machine (please excuse the sewing, I haven’t used the sewing machine like this for ages and am right out of practice).
I then added some other embellishments sewing them on by hand.
… a rusted button and washer ….
… a rusted pen nib……
…. a wishbone with tissue tape behind it …..
.. a stamped title ….
… and the gorgeous layered butterfly.
The back cover
I simply sewed on some card and paper butterflies.
To complete the covers I layered up the fabric over the canvas, a layer of stiffened fabric to help keep the shape and an inside cover of canvas with some of Tim’s trimmings to create the tie.
Some eyelets and rings and some pages sprayed with distress stains finished it all off.
Now what shall I use it for ………………..?????
Phew, it was rather a long process but I am really pleased with the finished outcomes, the lovely soft and pliable covers feel lovely in the hands and because they are flexible they will stretch over embellished pages easily.
Thanks for sharing in my project today. I hope you like the fabric journal and maybe you will be inspired to try one for yourself.
Do take a trip over to the Vintage Journey Challenge blog and take a look at all the incredible samples that the Creative Guides have made to inspire you. I am sure you will find something to get you making and if you enter with a Tim inspired project you stand a chance of winning a £10 voucher from Country View Crafts.
Have a great weekend.
hugs Brenda xxx