Tuesday 1 October 2013

Halloween Apothecary for CVC

There are some fabulous Halloween projects out in blogland again this year and I am just loving seeing creations by Shelley Hickox and Richele Christenson. If you haven’t seen Richele’s configurations box, you really should go take a look at the stages she has taken us through to make it, fabulous work.

Halloween Apothecary

Beware a photo heavy post!!!!
So this is my DT sample this month for Country View Challenges where the lovely Danielle has chosen ‘Something Spooky’ as the theme. This is my interpretation of it.

It started with a large 10 x 12 inch canvas.
But I turned it over as I wanted more of a shadow box design. I painted the edges black and added tissue tape to give me the framed effect I wanted.
I then made the background using distress paints, spritzed, smooshed and card dipped into it, drying and dipping until I was happy with it. I then used the paints and distress inks with Tim Holtz masks to give more layers and dimension. If you can see the eye chart I used the bumping method too (learnt at a Lin Brown workshop). I then stamped some stamps from The Chemist set.P1140389
Next I set about making a corked dome and as with all the other bottles you will see I smeared matte medium on them, let them dry and then covered with rock candy crackle paint.
This one has a distressed charlotte doll inside.
Here are the bottles and labels, all a mixture of ideaology and 7 Gypsies.
This bottle had a remnant rub label (bone dust) and has some small plastic bones and some glitter inside it.
Wow the crackle really shows on this which has some glitter and re-inker inside it.
Here is The Chemist himself, framed with the new sizzix TH ornate frame die. This was daubed with distress paints and alcohol inks to get the rusted, aged effects.
I started to gather other pieces I wanted to use and rusted them, some naturally with white vinegar and water and some with rusting powder which ...........
..........  included the border and these wings. The number plaque was given the crackle paint treatment
A collection of more spook elements. The bats and cobwebs are TH dies and both given a coat of rock candy crackle paint. The little birds came from a Halloween confetti bad I bought last year (in fact I didn't use them in the end) and the spider and fly are plastic.
The candle stick was rusted and the skull was given a coat of distress paint and rusting powder added in places. The pumpkin is made of foam and has been cut in half.
These are the vintage ephemera, stamped and distressed using TH stamps and you can see the paper clip was rusted too.
These are two pieces of wood I cut down, inked and added rock candy distress paint to these too.

So onto the finished frame.
I added a door bell .....
and also added this at the end as it needed something here for balance. I think it has worked well.

So there we are, hope you enjoyed all the photos (all 26 of them lol), there is so much going on in this piece I just wanted to capture it all.

October already and soon we will be well into our Christmas makes.

Thanks for your good wishes for Cimmie. The vet was very pleased with his paw and took the stitches out which meant he could have that horrible collar off. He's allowed out to play again and was out all day yesterday till late evening, so I think he's happy to be getting back into a normal routine. His brother didn't miss him though, all he did was hiss at him when they came in for supper last night. Brotherly love!!!!

Have a great week.

hugs {brenda} x0x