I created a new journal at the beginning of the month to hold small panels with a sewing/haberdashery theme so here's the first one. If you missed the making of the gorgeous journal with neutral outside covers you can find it here.
1. Tear patterned/designer papers randomly and glue to the panel. Also add some tape measure washi/tissue tape.
2. Dip this in watery gesso and dry a few times until you have a lighter and more cohesive look to the background.
3. Add some black asemic writing and areas of light colours to match the tones of the first papers you used with oil pastels or water soluble crayons. (I used oil pastels, sometimes scribbling 2/3 colours together then I heated them with a heat gun and rubbed them with my finger to blend them). Also distress the edges and blend some ground espresso ink around them.
4. Cover the surface with embossing ink and cover with vintage beeswax baked texture by Seth Apter and heat emboss. Repeat with a layer of UTEE.
Heat the surface and add a little of the bone mixed media powder from ranger.
5. Rub a coffee archival ink pad around the edges to frame the panel. Heat gently to dry.
6. Now add a third layer of embossing and again I used UTEE and have your stamps and watering can archival ink to stamp into the molten surface. Hold the stamp there for a few seconds so the the embossing cools down a little before removing the stamp.
7. When it had cooled completely I bent the panel t get it to crack the embossing and rubbed white antiquing cream all over. It needed to dry for 5 - 10 minutes.
8. In the meantime I collected together a few embellishments together and blended DI and dark grey and burnt sienna premium acrylic paints over the metal pieces.
9. When dry I rubbedback the background to give it a more shabby vintage feel.
10. And added embellishments. The hooks and eyes are torn from an old packet I gathered from my Mum's supplies many years ago.
The scissors are flat backed and I added some paints to age them.
I added a little burnt sienna to the buttons too.
I absolutely love the finished effects. It's not at all how I thought it might look and I was very surprised at how dark the vintage beeswax embossing is, but mixing it with layers of clear worked well.
This will now be added to the journal.
Thanks for taking an interest and popping by and ........