Thursday, 1 June 2017

Crafting from the Sofa #4 - Hearts for CVC

This is a panel for the pink journal, created in stages whilst I am recuperating from my broken ankle and it also serves as my DT piece for the new challenge at Country View Challenges - which is HEARTS chosen by the lovely Hazel.

For this background I began with the splat stencil and fired brick doxide. I replaced the stencil over the patterns and rubbed in some distress glaze aiming to keep the splatters looking clear and defined as I added other watery layers.

And so the fun started dipping the media paper into fossilized amber and spiced marmalade LOTS of times, heat drying between each dip. This really looked like molten lava to me but the splats remained and didn't get washed away with all the dips and spritzes of water.

Next I stamped the half tone stamp to create some visual texture and blended the orange and yellow colours around the edges.

This was all a bit fiery for me so I finished by dipping it in some watery gesso to tone it down somewhat.

Well I thought I had finished it, that was until I started gathering the elements to use. 
The story behind this is that about 10 days after I broke my ankle my gorgeous daughter Maddie and her lovely partner Tom took a long weekend break to visit Rome, she thought it was just that, a mini break, but he had other ideas. The outcome was she said YES and they are now engaged and of course we are all thrilled for them both.

So back to the panel - Whilst looking through a tub of vintage photos I found the married couple - remember I have only brought limited supplies down into the conservatory but this one spoke to me and linked to the engagement of these two special people. I stamped and cut the flowers and pen nib and punched the hearts and found some lovely appropriate remnant rubs. The oval is waxed paper and was used to help diecut the stitched ovals when Nikki came to visit, I decided to keep it and glad that I did.

So here's where I needed to add some hearts to the background too. I blended worn lipstick doxide randomly then replaced it again and with a water brush and some vintage photo doxide painted it over the ink to get some hearts that blended into the background perfectly.

Great, I inked and painted the flowers, edged all the pieces with walnut stain DI and collaged the elements together.  

After I had added it I thought the pen nib fitted for signing the register lol. It fits in the journal perfectly.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you'll pop over to the Country View Challenges blog to see what other hearts projects my fabulous teamies have come up with it and maybe we will see you take part.

Hopefully we will get some lovely weather for June.

Take care.

hugs Brenda xxx