Compendium of Curiosities week 19 - Extreme Masking
Well I actually got to play with this TH technique earlier than I have been doing, in fact last week I made the deadline for entry by 2 hours, call that near the mark or what!!!
As it's almost All Hallows Eve I decided to use spooky Halloween colours - purple, orange and black which meets the deets for Flutterby Wednesday as I have used butterflies as well. The extreme masking technique is explained on P.61 of TH's book and this meets the requirements for the challenge at Studio L3. If you would like to see more inspiration from the man himself then go take a look at his blog HERE.
The small butterfly masks are Papermania vinyls and the larger one is a Tattered Angels mask and I used repositionable spray on it to keep it in one place.
Stamps are a variety by TH and the DI's used are dusty concord, spiced marmalade and black soot. I made my own spray using aged mahogany and faded jeans. The whole piece has been edged with black soot DI and black diamonds stickles.
I have added bats and black butterflies to give this more of a traditional Halloween feel to it. The butterflies are all MS punches and sprayed with spray and sparkle. The bats are a Quickcutz die.
I made another of the metal roses, but I have to admit it looks more like a pine cone, which actually fits this better. I used copper ten second studio metal sheet, die cut the flowers using a Marianne Creatables die, stuck the metal flowers to black card then put it together using a clear, soft glue which takes a while to dry, but allows you to position each layer as you want it.
I shall use the pine cone effect again when doing autumnal designs.
Lastly I added brads and ribbon to make this into a piece which I will hang on the front door on Saturday, ready for any Trick or Treaters.
Challenges to have fun with - I can't believe how many Halloween challenges are still about, so this will fit quite a few of them.