Another fossil on a different background for the Eileen Hull Passport Journal I made to take to Stitches in February.
1. Paint black and cobalt blue straight onto the substrate without mixing and dry.
2. Over that paint a thick layerof weathered wood crackle medium and leave to dry naturally.
3. When perfectly dry paint over a layer of titanium white and leave to dry - watch the cracks appear as it does so.
4. Stamp the text with a mix of black, burnt umber and titanium white on the stamp and again dry.
5. Stencil the scales effect with left over paints and dry.
6. Splatter and dry several times with titanium white.
7. Blend some quinacridone gold round the edges and dry.
8. Give a coat of satin glaze all over.
9. Stamp the fish on a painty piece of card - mine was a leftover from another project - first in black archival ink and then in white gesso using the bump technique. See how the black behind shows through a little and gives a striking finish.
10. Paint over a watery quinacridone gold wash in areas and dry.
11. Finish with a coat of satin glaze.
Add the word and adhere the fish to the background to finish.