I wanted to create something for the other half of my blog title as I had made my butterfly box for the first sample in this month’s challenge at CVC. Have you had a chance to join in yet? Don’t forget there’s a great voucher to be won from Country View Crafts shop
I started with Tim’s monoprint technique using the honeycomb stencil and mustard seed, spiced marmalade and black soot distress paints. and created the hexagonal patterned background. There was alot of paint left on my mat so I spritzed a tag with water and I wiped the paint up on it and got a completely different effect to make a tag another day.
Dry the paint and then blend scattered straw, dried marmalade, tea dye and pumice stone Dis over. Distress and edge the tag with walnut stain, add some light texture stamping and some remnant rubs and/or label letters to create text.
The bee was created using Tim’s layered bee die. I started with foil tape over card and die-cut and embossed the bee and then I had great fun. First of all I used rusting powder to create a dark and textured base and I added some alcohol inks in the gaps and blended over treasure gold.
I then began to layer distress paints, sanding in places to knock back the colours. I was beginning to see a bee emerge but knew it needed something else.
So I sanded back the wings more to try and get them to look shiny as if they were translucent and also sanded the body and took the black soot and mustard seed distress paint dabbers and rubbed them over to get more bee like colours. Now I was happier with it, in fact those wings look as though they have got pollen all over them.
I gathered together other bits I wanted to use, altering the charm and word band with paints and coffee archival ink.
And put it all together.
Don’t you just love how the bee really looks to be resting, but wings at the ready to take off.
Thanks to Trace for the theme this month, I love playing with bees and butterflies images and thanks to you too for staying with me at the moment.
hugs Brenda xxx