When I posted my June Tim Tag with the rusty patina tarnished trophy I promised a tutorial as to how I achieved the effect using Tim Holtz products. So here goes.
This was inspired by Kate from Lindy's Stamp Gang and her faux verdigris or patina background - I used her method but swapped in Tim's products. This technique enabled me to use up some of a forest moss distress stain that has gone dark brown with perfect bronze perfect pearls and a drop of water in a mister.
Spray card with mister of home made glimmer mist making the card really quite wet (the card I use seems to have a coating to it and will withstand lots of wet and painty layers). Add some salt crystals and heat dry slightly.
Spray with gathered twigs distress stain.
Drip in some drops of evergreen bough distress paint and spritz blobs with your home made mister.
Repeat with blck soot distress paint and dab on some kitchen toll to lift some of it if it is too intense.
Spritz more home made mister and dry.
This is from ther first piece I made for the cup above.
This is the piece I made for the tutorial - you can see you will never recreate exactly the same again. This one has much more of a 'bloom' to it created by the misting of the evergreen bough distress paint.
Next I wanted to try to achieve a silver/galvanised effect so I followed the same steps but used the brushed pewter distress spray stain and spritzed with water adding more brushed pewter and a little weathered wood spray stain with drops of evergreen bough and hickory smoke and when partially dried I added a quick spray of brushed pewter again.
This is what it looks finishing off drying with the salt granules still in it.
Next I wanted to try rusted tin. A spray of hickory smoke which has a decidedly mauve hue to it when wet but dries to a lovely gun metal grey.
Added a spray of pumice stone but the darn thing has turned green - grrrrr so annoying when that happens. So I blotted off as much as I could and dried it.
Next came some random sprayed brushed pewter and some black soot, dried partially with then another spray of brushed pewter
I wanted to add some rust so I sprayed firstly with walnut stain, the colour didn't stay very well so I repeated with vintage photo and its as if the brushed pewter absorbs the other colours - it really looks much greyer than this in real life.
So having found this photo of a rusty tin watering can ....
After several layers of stippled distress paint and stains and then sprays of rusty hinge and vintage photo I desperately wanted to capture this 'wet' look which highlights the deeper rusty colours ...
so I spayed once more with rusty hinge and whilst wet I also sprayed a gloss varnish, dried and repeated with vintage photo. Now there is much more of a silvery/galvanised shine as well as a deep, vibrant and rusty effect.
So now here is my rusty watering can, I feel a tag or card coming on.
Enjoy your crafty endeavours.
hugs Brenda xxx
Wow, your rust and verdigris are perfect. Those spray stains really do the job!
OMG, Brenda, rusty patina effect as it's best! Absolutely stunning! Thank you so much for sharing your brilliant ideas with us!
Amazing details. Your watering can looks perfect!
A fantastic tutorial Brenda and your finished watering can looks stunning! Hugs, Anne xx
This is great! I love how you created rusty paper! I will definitely be trying these techniques.
thx so much for sharing your technique Brenda- really enjoyed seeing the process at the various stages to the finished result which looks fantastic n so authentic . x
I LOVE how you never gave up...WOW...a lot went into this! That paper must be super quality to absorb so much too! Way to go to experiment and then tell us how! I love learning new things and you certainly taught me some stuff here! So so so cool!!! Thanks!
Not sure my brain has taken all that in! I'm saving for a "rainy day in Scotland "
Wow - that is a fantastic watering can! What a informative and helpful tutorial Brenda - thanks bunches. Just great. j.
Wow, Brenda - this is fabulous. Love seeing all the different paths you took, and the watering can result is marvelous! I'm a bit behind on visits - so making my way through some of your latest now - glad I caught this one! Great tutorial! xx Lynn
Wow Brenda, this is amazing! What a brilliant technique, I am trying this one immediately!! You are such an inspiration! hugs :)
I am seriously astounded with the results you achieved here. Simply gorgeous. It's so much fun to experiment. It almost sounds like you could have started this post with a lovely stamped image of Tim's mad Chemist :) Isn't that what it feels like some times when we experiment with different craft products? Your results were so worth the time and effort. Thanks for the tips. Definitely grabbing my salt shaker and heading down to my craft room soon! Hugs -- Mary Eizabeth
Brenda, fabulous patina effects,thanks so much for sharing your techniques, pinning for future reference!
I'm in love with your post! I'll read it a million times and more! Rust is one of my craft obsessions! Barbarayaya
Great experimentations Brenda and after all your efforts the end results look incredible!!! Great effects!
I was somewhat"distressed" though, to hear that your spray stains discoloured. I have had that happen over and over with my stains, but not the sprays - so that is bad news... Wished Ranger chemists could get this sorted.
Wow, wow, wow Brenda! Amazing! I love that rusty watering can. It looks perfect on your AVJ tag x
Great tag! That technique is definitely bookmarked for later - fabulous. Nxx
Post a Comment